When i think of winter, i always think of hot and spicy foods. In winter we need recipes that keep us warm and comfort. Coming to today's recipe, Avarai Kottai (Field Beans ) kulambu, is a spicy and tangy gravy served with hot idlis and rice. My favorite winter recipe and love this gravy with hot idlis, a perfect combo, i can say. And this fresh field beans is available during winter seasons in the market. Here's is the hot and delicious recipe for cold winter days.
And this recipe is going to participate in " MLLA- 19 " hosted by EC of Simple Indian Food and event started by Susan of The Well Seasoned cook.
- Avarai Kottai - 150 gms
- Onion - 2, chopped
- Tomato, medium sized - 1, chopped
- Green Chilly - 2, slit lengthwise
- Red Chilly powder - 1 tbsp
- Turmeric powder - 1/4 tsp
- Tamarind Extract - 3 tbsp
- Grated Coconut - 3 tbsp
- Coriander powder - 1 tbsp
- Curry Leaves - few
- Coriander leaves - few for garnishing
- Salt to taste
- Oil - 2 tbsp
- Pressure cook the beans for 3 to 4 whistles and keep aside.
- Grind coconut to a fine paste and keep aside.
- Heat oil in a heavy bottomed vessel, add mustard seeds and curry leaves to it and allow it to splutter.
- Next add onions and fry till it turns pink in color.
- Then add tomatoes to it and cook for 3 Min's.
- Add the pressure cooked beans and little water to it.
- Add chilly powder, turmeric powder, coriander powder, tamarind extract and salt mix well and simmer for 5 Min's.
- Then add coconut paste and cook for one Min or till the gravy becomes thick.
- Finally add coriander leaves to it and serve with hot idlis.