Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Mashed Sorrel Leaves


Red Sorrel leave are the most popular greens in the Andra region. These leaves are very sour in taste and has the rich load of vitamin C. Sorrel leaves are used to prepare curries, dals , pickles etc.... I learnt this recipe from my neighbour auntie. This is easy to make and it is delicious. This goes perfectly with hot rice.


Gongura Masiyal


Ingredients

  • Sorrel Leaves/ Gongura/ Pulicha Keerai - 2 bunches
  • Shallots - 5 to 8
  • Green Chilly - 2
  • Dry Red Chillies - 3 to 5
  • Garlic - 4 cloves
  • Salt to taste
For Tempering
  • Mustard Seeds - 1 tsp
  • Oil - 1 tbsp
Mashed Sorrel Leaves
Method
  • Pluck the leaves from the stalk and wash the leaves and keep aside.
  • Heat oil in a pan and fry dry red chillies, garlic cloves, shallots in it.
  • Then add gongura leaves, 1/4 cup of water, and salt to it and cook for 5 Min's or till the water is absorbed.
  • Then transfer to a large bowl and using wooden masher, mash them.
  • Heat oil in a pan, add mustard seeds to it and allow it to splutter and add this tempering to the mashed gongura and mix well.
  • Serve with hot rice.

26 comments :

Anjum said...

Is this the same leaf as gongura??My mouth is alreasy watering.I remember eating this with hot rice n ghee @ my grandmoms

Rachana said...

Sorrel leaves are really new to me but the look of this dish says that it must taste yumm!!! are those rice balls? beautifully presented:)

Priya Suresh said...

Feel like having thought tiny balls rite now...tempting mashed sorrel leaves Valar, had it really long back at home..

Pari Vasisht said...

I love Gongura, and the last time I visited BLR had picked up a large bunch and made pachadi and posted too. Now you are making me drool over those pics and I do not get those leaves here...shucks!!!

Tina said...

Looks yummy and delicious...

chef and her kitchen said...

My taste buds r already tingling seeing those muddalu(rounds) at the end.looks super yummy..nice clicks too

Unknown said...

wooooooooooooooooow mouthwatering my fav. soooooo tempting....

Vrinda said...

Never heard of thse leaves,looks gr8 and nice clicks

Sushma Mallya said...

looks healthy,havent heard abt this one though...and beautiful clicks again ...

Shanthi Krishnakumar said...

This is perfect and love the flavour of the leaves.

Gita Jaishankar said...

Wow Valar, nice beautiful clicks dear...awesome dish :)

Home Cooked Oriya Food said...

wow - a different one.
Lovely click!

TREAT AND TRICK said...

Although unknown to me but by looking at the beautiful photo it must be tasted great.

Mona said...

Its been years since I had Gongura. Looks very yummy.

Namitha said...

Wonderful..My hubby is a die hard fan of this..It's been ages since we had this...drooling now :-)

Padma said...

Looks mouthwatering Valar.

Preety said...

wow i never even heard of these before, this is the best part of visiting blogs , you always learn new things and recipes, looks yummy

Unknown said...

wow..that should taste great..i but the readymade thokku..goes well with rice..

Nandinis food said...

Wow! Drooling here. Tempting pics.
Lovely presentation!

Nithu Bala said...

Hey, this sounds interesting..very tempting..have to try soon..

Nithu Bala said...

Valar Dear, you have one award waiting at my blog..please do collect it..Congrats and my wishes for you to get many more awards :-)

Ramya Vijaykumar said...

Very healthy and a yummy spinach dish!!! looks very comforting and just need some rice and ghee!!!

http://memoryarchieved.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

my fav..am drooling..nakku ooruthu..and I love those urundais with the rice.gorgeous

Mythreyi Dilip said...

Delicious gongura chutney, excellent presentation da:)

Parita said...

Something very new to me..gorgeous and mouth watering clicks!

Pavithra Elangovan said...

hey I missed this post...looks yumm and i love it.