Red Sorrel leave are the most popular greens in the Andra region. These leaves are very sour in taste and has the rich load of vitamin C. Sorrel leaves are used to prepare curries, dals , pickles etc.... I learnt this recipe from my neighbour auntie. This is easy to make and it is delicious. This goes perfectly with hot rice.
- Sorrel Leaves/ Gongura/ Pulicha Keerai - 2 bunches
- Shallots - 5 to 8
- Green Chilly - 2
- Dry Red Chillies - 3 to 5
- Garlic - 4 cloves
- Salt to taste
- Mustard Seeds - 1 tsp
- Oil - 1 tbsp
- Pluck the leaves from the stalk and wash the leaves and keep aside.
- Heat oil in a pan and fry dry red chillies, garlic cloves, shallots in it.
- Then add gongura leaves, 1/4 cup of water, and salt to it and cook for 5 Min's or till the water is absorbed.
- Then transfer to a large bowl and using wooden masher, mash them.
- Heat oil in a pan, add mustard seeds to it and allow it to splutter and add this tempering to the mashed gongura and mix well.
- Serve with hot rice.