Yet another recipe from kongunadu cuisine called 'Arisi Parupu Saadham'. I like this b' cos its taste like biriyani and easy to prepare also, just only need pressure cook. Whenever i go to my native, i ask my mom to prepare this. One of my favorite in vegetarian recipes. Serve potato fry or chips with little curd as an accompaniments to this.
- Rice - 1 cup
- Split Pigeon pea (Toor Dhal) - 1/4 cup
- Onion - 1, chopped lengthwise
- Tomato - 1, large one, chopped
- Mustard seeds - 1 tsp
- Salt to taste
- Oil - 2 tbsp
- Coriander leaves - few
- Turmeric powder- 1/4 tsp
- Cashew nuts - few (optional)
To Make Paste
- Garlic - 4 cloves
- Dry Red Chilly - 4
- Curry leaves - few
- Cumin seeds - 1 tsp
- Black Pepper Corns - 1/2 tsp
- Grind the ingredients said above to a coarse paste and keep aside.
- Wash rice and Dal, soak for 15 Min's. Drain and keep aside.
- Heat oil in pressure cooker, add mustard seeds to it and allow it to splutter.
- Put the onions and fry until golden brown.
- Now add chopped tomatoes to it and fry till the tomatoes are completely cooked.
- Then add the ground paste to it and fry till the raw smell goes.
- Now add rice and dal to it and add enough water to it.
- Then to it add salt, turmeric powder and coriander leaves to it and mix well.
- Pressure cook for 2 or 3 whistles.
- Fry the cashew nuts in ghee and add to the rice and serve.