Tomato rice is the popular and common variety rice recipe in south india. This is a one pot meal and it can prepared very quickly and also it is one of the ideal lunch box menu. There are so many version to make this rice. Though i have already posted Tomato rice , here is my another version. For this you need nice tangy and well ripened tomatoes, i have used here is natty tomato which is very juicy and easily cooks. Here's the recipe.
- 2 cups of Cooked Rice
- 4 ripened Tomatoes, chopped
- 1 inch Cinnamon Stick (optional)
- 2 Cloves (optional)
- 1 tsp of Cumin seeds
- 1 tsp Ginger Garlic paste
- 1/4 tsp Garam masala powder
- 1/2 tsp Coriander powder
- 1 tsp Chilly powder
- 1 spring Curry leaves
- Salt to taste
- 3 tbsp of oil
- Heat oil in wok, when hot add cumin seeds and allow it to splutter( If you need fry cinnamon stick and cloves before adding cumin seeds). Then add curry leaves and fry for few seconds.
- Add the chopped tomatoes and saute. At this stage add little pinch of salt to the tomatoes so that tomatoes are easily cooked and mashed.
- Add ginger garlic paste and all the powders and cook till the tomatoes are well cooked and oil starts leaving the sides of the pan or still the raw smell of the masala goes off.
- Add salt to it and mix well.
- Then add the cooked rice and mix well and serve with potato curry.
Choose tomatoes that are well ripened for this recipe because when cooked it becomes like gravy so that the rice coats well with the tomato and gives more taste.