Vazhakkai poriyal / Raw Plantatin , a very very easy to make side dish and served with rice and sambhar/rasam/curd. When you are cooking for large number of people this could be one of the best choice because it reduces the cooking time. Hence in Tamilnadu in olden days this is usually served in most of the weddings. Here is the recipe.
- 1 Raw Banana/Plantain
- 5 to 8 no of Shallots, peeled and chopped (or you can use red/white Onion)
- 1 tbsp of split bengal gram /Channa dal
- 1 tsp Mustard seeds
- a pinch of asafoetida
- 3 Dry red chillies
- 1 spring of Curry leaves
- 1/4 tsp Turmeric powder
- 3 tbsp of grated Coconut
- 1 tbsp of oil
- Salt to taste
- Wash the raw banana cut the ends, peel the skin and cut into one cm cubes. Place them in a bowl with water.
- Heat oil in a heavy bottomed kadai/wok/pan add split bengal gram chana dal and fry for 10 seconds.
- Add mustard seeds, asafoetida, curry leaves, dry red chillies and allow it to splutter.
- Then add the shallots and fry till it turns translucent.
- Strain the water and add the chopped raw banana cubes to it. Cover and cook in low flame by stirring and sprinkling some water in between .It will take five Min's to cook. (or else Cook the raw banana in hot water along with turmeric powder and strain the water and keep aside and then add after the shallots).
- Add enough salt to it and cook for another 1 Min and switch off the flame.
- Add the grated coconut and combine them well.
- Serve with rice and sambhar/rasam/curd.
* When you are cooking the raw banana in hot water it just takes only 2 Min's to cook If overcooked it becomes sticky.