Sambar is one of the popular south indian recipe. The sambar recipe is prepared almost everday in most of the kitchens in Tamilnadu. It is made up of using toor dal and vegetables. You can use any vegetables like drumstick, potato, brinjal, chow chow, raddish, ladiesfinger etc..... And now we are in the season of mangoes i have used mangoes in sambar along with drumsticks. These two makes a very great combo. Relish this sambar with plain white rice, idlis, dosas.
- 1 small cup or 2 oz Split Pigeon Peas
- 1 Drum stick, cut in 2 inch size
- 1 Raw Mango, diced, discard the seed
- 10 to 15 Shallots, peeled
- 2 Tomato, chopped
- 3 Dry red Chillies
- Few Curry Leaves
- 2 tsp Sambar powder
- 1/2 tsp Red Chilly powder
- 1 tbsp Tamarind pulp (optional for this raw mango sambar recipe)
- 1/4 tsp Turmeric powder
- Salt to taste
- 2 tbsp Oil
- Wash and pressure cook toor dhal with 2 cups of water till it becomes soft and cooked.
- Heat oil in a deep pan, add fenugreek, cumin and mustard seeds and allow them to splutter.Next add asafoetida to it.
- Then add the shallots, curry leaves and fry till it turns pink in color.
- Next add the chopped tomatoes to it and cook till it becomes soft.
- Add the cooked dal and drumstick with 1/2 cup of water to it and bring to boil.
- Add sambar powder, chilly powder, tamarind pulp to it, cover and cook till drumsticks are 3/4 th done.
- Finally add mango pieces and salt to it and cook till the mangoes become soft, say about 2 Min's.