If you want to add more fibre to your diet, then include brown rice in your diet. Its a better substitute to the white rice. It helps in detoxification,lowering the cholesterol and blood sugar levels. and the best benefit of the brown rice is that it helps you in losing weight. Since it has a higher fibre content its actually pretty heavy on stomach even though you take less quantity and takes long time to chew so you end up eating less food. It is also more delicious than the white rice. With brown rice i have made the popular and flavourful recipe jeera rice. Gorge on brown rice and find yourself in the pink of health.
- 2 cups or 16 oz Brown rice
- 1 Onion, chopped lengthwise
- 1 inch Cinnamon sticks
- 2 Cloves
- 2 Bayleaves
- 1 Staranise
- 2 tbsp Cumin seeds
- few Curry leaves
- Salt to taste
- 3 tbsp Ghee/ Clarified Butter
- Wash and soak the rice in water for 20 to 30 minutes. Drain and keep aside
- Heat ghee in a pressure cooker in medium flame. Add cinnamon sticks, cloves,staranise, bayleaves and saute well.
- Add cumin seeds and allow it to splutter.
- Add onions, green chillies and saute till onion turns light brown in colour.
- Next add the curry leaves and saute.
- Now add in brown rice and stir gently. Add water and salt accordingly and pressure cook.
- Serve this with your favourite sidedish or raita.
Brown rice takes a little longer time to cook than white rice. Give two more whistles extra when you pressure cook them.
You can even cook the rice in rice cooker or in a wide pan with the lid.
Sending this recipe to Show Me Your Hits - Rice event hosted by Vardini of Cook's joy and event started by Sangeetha of Spicy Treats.
Also sending this to Healthy Diet Food Event - Whole grains hosted by Jaya of Spice and Curry, event started by Priya's Versatile Recipes.