A thick tomato based curry with spinach and ground coconut, spiced with garlic, cumin and chillies and finally tempered with mustard seeds. In this recipe all the ingredients are cooked in boiling water and finally tempered and so this curry can be prepared in few minutes. Serve with dosa or rice. Happy weekend to all my readers.
Reference: The Indian CookBook
- 3 Tomatoes, medium sized, ground roughly
- 1 very small bunch of Spinach, chopped roughly
- 1 Green Chilly, chopped
- 1 Onion, big sized, chopped
- 1/4 tsp Garlic paste
- 1/2 tsp ground Cumin
- pinch of Turmeric powder
- 3 tbsp of ground Coconut paste
- Salt to taste
- Few Curry Leaves
- 1 tbsp of vegetable Oil
- 2 dried Red Chillies
- 1 tsp Mustard Seeds
- Bring 1 1/2 cups of water to a boil in heavy based pan. Add the chopped tomatoes, green chillies. curry leaves and one onion, season with salt and reduce the heat slightly and continue to boil for 5 Min's.
- Then add the garlic paste, ground cumin, ground coconut, spinach leaves and turmeric powder and simmer for few Min's until the moisture has evaporated.
- Heat oil in a smalll frying pan, add the mustard seeds allow it to splutter and then add the red chiilliesand remaining onions and stir fry until the onions are golden brown. Pour over the tomatoes and cover immediately to retain the aroma.