Kachayam is a popular and traditional sweet recipe from Tamilnadu. It is very simple, easy to make and delectable to eat.When you have ripe bananas, this is the perfect recipe to make. This is a perfect tea time snack. Whenever i make this recipe it brings me back my childhood memories. When i was kid, we grand children hit our grandma's place for every summer vacation. Every year for us summer vacation is the time to enjoy and have fun. Grandpa's stories, the green farm, tall coconut trees, cow's, buffaloes at the backyard, little vegetable garden, very big scary well and grandma's food....reminds my childhood....those were magical moments. My grandma used to make this sweet for us and we kids run into the kitchen now and then and have them hot. Those were beautiful days, eventhough its gone they are still fresh in our minds and their presence is always in our thoughts.
- 100 gms of Wheat flour
- 2 small sized Bananas
- 100 gms Jaggery
- 1/2 tsp Cardamaom Powder
- few small Coconut pieces (optional)
- a pinch of Baking soda ( optional )
- Soak the jaggery in water and keep aside and allow it to completely dissolves.Mash the bananas and keep aside. Roast the coconut pieces and keep.
- Now mix all the ingredients together , if required add little water.(bcos the water is already there used in soaking jaggery)
- Heat oil in a large skillet and drop spoonful of mixture in it and keep the flame in medium and deep fry until it turns very dark brown in colour.
- The consistency of the batter should be like cake like/ idli batter like. Check in the pic above.
- While frying kachayam, the flame should be kept in medium, so that it cooks perfectly inside too.
- If you find the sweet is hard add little more water.