Do you love garlic? Then this is a must try recipe. Today I'm going to share one of the south Indian variety rice recipe called Garlic rice / Poondu Saadam. This is very tasty and flavourful rice. If you have any left over rice then make use of it and pack a quick lunch.
- 2 cups of Cooked rice
- 8 or 9 cloves of Garlic
- 3 Dry Red Chillies
- 1/3 cup of grated Coconut
- 2 tbsp of Oil
- 1 tsp Mustard seeds
- 1 tsp Urad dhal
- Few Curry leaves
- Salt to taste
- Heat 1 tbsp of oil in wok/ khadai, when hot add the garlic and dry red chillies and roast till they are done. Then add the grated coconut and roast for 1 minute. Do not burn the coconut. Even you can switch off the stove and roast the coconut in the khadai.
- Allow it cool and grind the mixture coarsely with the help a mixer or a food processor and keep it aside.
- Heat the remaining oil in the same khadai/wok, when hot add Mustard seeds and urad dhal and allow it to splutter. And then add curry leaves to it.
- Now add coconut garlic mixture and salt to it and switch off the stove. Then add the rice to it and mix well.
- If you don't have any cooked or leftover rice.. cook them and allow it to cool and proceed the recipe. Do not use the hot rice for this recipe.
- If the garlic cloves are big then reduce it to 5.
- If you feel spicy, you can reduce the chillies too.
- you can substitute dry coconut powder in the place of fresh coconut.
- Also you can prepare the coconut garlic mixture in advance and store it in a container in the fridge. Whenever you have any leftover rice, you can prepare this garlic rice easily.
#garlicrice #varietyrice #varietyricerecipe #leftover rice #leftover ricerecipes #southindian #southindianrecipes #southindianvarietyrice recipe #poondu saadam