Our weekend starts with fun and food. And non vegetarian dishes are always in most wanted list. And when it comes to non vegetarian our choice is for sea foods. Fish kulambu tastes best with small fishes like sardines, anchovies..., There are many methods to prepare this. Here is a way my mother taught me. And those little fishes in brown gravy tastes simply superb!!! And those of you who are veggies you can substitute with garlic, bitter gourd instead of fish. So here we go....
- Sardines Fish - 2 (Mathi Meen in Tamil)
- Shallots - 10 to 15
- Garlic - 2 cloves, crushed
- Tomato - 2, medium sized chopped
- Tamarind juice - 1 cup
- Green Chillies - 2
- Chilly powder - 1 tbsp
- Coriander powder - 2 tbsp
- Coconut paste - 1 tbsp
- Thick Coconut Milk - 1/2 cup
- Turmeric powder - 1/4 tsp
- Mustard Seeds - 1 tsp
- Curry Leaves - few
- Coriander leaves - few
- Oil - 2 tbsp
- Salt to taste
- Heat oil in a pan, add mustard seeds and allow it to splutter and then add curry leaves to it.
- Add shallots, green chillies and garlic to it and fry till shallots turn pink.
- Add tamarind juice and 1 cup water to it.
- Then to that add all the powders mentioned above.
- When the gravy starts boiling drop the fish in it.
- When the fishes are 3/4th cooked, add coconut paste and coconut milk to it.
- Cook till the gravy becomes thick and fish gets cooked.
- Finally add coriander leaves to it.
- Serve with hot rice.