Horse gram / Kollu is famous in kongunadu areas of Tamilnadu. They prepare many recipes with this like masiyal, chutney, rasam etc... Persons who are wishing to lose weight can include this in their diet. Yes this helps in reducing body weight and this is a healthy dish too. So you can see this in many of my recipes. This is going to participate in " MLLA - 18" event hosted by Srivalli of Cooking 4 All Seasons, event by Susan of The Well Seasoned Cook .
- Horse gram - 1 cup
- Shallots - 8 to 10
- Dry Red Chillies - 3 to 4
- Garlic - 2 cloves, crushed
- Cumin Seeds - 1/2 tbsp
- Curry leaves - few
- Mustard Seeds - 1 tbsp
- Salt to taste
- Oil - 2 tbsp
- Wash and soak horsegram overnight or 4 to 5 hours.
- Add enough water and pressure cook horsegram for 4 whistles.
- Heat oil in pan, add mustard and cumin seeds, allow them to splutter.
- Then add curry leaves, crushed garlic cloves and shallots and fry till the shallot turns pink.
- Add horse gram and salt to it, bring it to boil and cook for 3 Min's.
- Then with help of wooden masher mash them.
- Serve with hot rice and a drop of ghee to it.
- After pressure cooking horsegram, take out the excess water in a separate bowl and if u drink this water every morning in the empty stomach, helps in reducing weight. Even you take boiled horsegram little instead of water.
- With that water u can make rasam too. Will be posting that later.