One of my favaourite food is Biryani. This is one of the most popular and classical recipe which doesn't need much introduction. Today I'm going to share a biryani recipe cooked with ' Brinjal '. Surprised !!...... yes me too surprised when i heard this for the first time.
When i watching a local TV channel, i saw star chef Meena cooking this brinjal biryani. Because at my home everyone likes brinjal very much, I thought why don't I try this out. And also another reason i love to cook this briyani is ' it's one pot cooking'.
I made a lil change from her recipe and tried. I marinated the brinjal and tried. Because when i tried without marinating, brinjal tasted very bland. It has no flavour and salt. So I tried marinating it with lil spice powders and salt. It became super hit. Always try to use whole brinjal for this recipe, otherwise it will become very smashy. And also select the very small brinjals for this recipe so that it gives a nice taste to the biryani.
So vegetarians.... are you bored of trying the same vegetable biryani all the time. Try this one pot biryani recipe with brinjal and surprise your loved ones by serving this at your dinner table.One pot cooking is always top on my list when it comes to quick dinner solutions. This recipe needs very minimal chopping and less preparation work. So this recipe has become one of my personal favourite because its so easy and tasty.
- 6 nos Brinjal (Eggplant), small ones, slitted
- 1 Onion, chopped lengthwise
- 1 Tomato, chopped
- 1 handful of mint leaves
- 1 handful of Coriander leaves
- 6 Green Chillies, slitted
- 1/2 cup Curd
- 1/2 tbsp Lemon Juice
- 1 tbsp Ginger Garlic paste
- 1/4 tsp Turmeric powder
- 3 tbsp Cooking Oil
- 1 1/4 cup Seeraga Samba rice / Jeera Rice or Basmati rice
- 1/4 tsp Fennel seeds
- 2 Cinnamon Sticks
- 4 Cloves
- 6 Cardamom pods
- 1 Star Anise
- 1 small piece of Mace
- 2 Bay leaves
- 1/2 tsp Chilly powder,
- 1/4 tsp Turmeric powder
- 1/4 tsp lemon juice
- 1/4 tp salt
1. Soak the rice in water for 30 min's and set aside.
2. Wash the brinjals. Do not remove the stem. Slit brinjals towards the stem side vertically and horizantally like a plus sign and don't slit them all the way through.
3.Marinate the brinjals with the spice powders and salt said above and leave it aside.
4. Heat oil in a large pan. When hot add all the whole spices one by one and fry for one minute.
5. Add the chopped onions and fry till it becomes golden brown colour.
6. Next add slit green chillies, mint leaves, ginger garlic paste, and half of the coriander leaves and fry for 2 Min's.
7. Add the chopped tomatoes and cook till it raw smell leaves.
8. Then add the brinjals, turmeric powder and mix gently and cook for a minute.
9. Add the curd and lemon juice and mix well and cook for 3 more Min's. Now it will become a gravy like consistency.
10. Drain the water from the rice and to the gravy.
11. Add 2 cups of water and salt and mix gently. Finally add the remaining coriander leaves.
12. Cover the pan and cook the rice in medium flame.Stir once in between.
13. Once the rice is cooked and all the water drained, add 2 tbsp of ghee and mix gently without breaking the rice.
14. Serve it with onion raitha.
Technorati Tags : Biryani, Biriyani, Biryani recipe, Vegetable Biryani, Vegetable Biryani recipe, Brinjal Biryani, brinjal biryani, onepotcooking, biryani varities, biryani vegetarian, sunday biryani, lunch recipes, veg biryani, How to make biryani, how to make brinjal biryani.