Pudalangai kootu, a vegetarian side dish and a specialty recipe from Tamilnadu often served with rice and sambhar/rasam. Kootu meaning vegetables cooked along with dhal in coocnut paste. This is one of my favourite side dish. Here's the recipe.
- 1/4 kg of Snake Gourd
- 3 tbsp Split Bengal Gram
- 1 tsp Mustard Seeds
- a pinch of turmeric powder
- Few Curry Leaves
- Salt to taste
- 3 tbsp of grated Coconut
- 4 pods of Garlic
- 1 tsp Cumin seeds
- 3 Green Chillies
- 1 sprig Curry leaves
- Soak the chana dal/split bengal gram in water for 15 to 30 Min's.
- Wash the snake gourd and split open and remove the seeds and chop them into small pieces and keep.
- Cook the dhal by adding enough water and pinch of turmeric powder,when its 3/4th cooked remove from the flame.
- Heat oil in a wok/kadai, when hot add mustard seeds and allow it to splutter.
- Add curry leaves and fry for 3 seconds.
- Then add the chopped snake gourd pieces and dhal to it and cover and cook till its 3/4th done.
- Next add the ground paste and cook till the raw smell goes off, between stir once and add salt to it and mix well.
- Serve with rice and sambhar/rasam.