Friday, February 05, 2010

Lamb Leg Soup

Whenever i think of soup in non vegetarian category, my choice is aatukkaal soup - a spicy soup of leg of lamb. During my school and college days whenever we suffer from cold my mom prepare this for me and my brother and compulsorily we have to drink it. My mom starts preparation of this soup before night. Before she goes to bed she pressure cook the bones and leave it overnight. Next day morning after our breakfast we have to drink this. This is the most common natural remedies for cold symptoms. My mom learnt this recipe from her mother and i learnt from my mom. This is very tasty and this is a natural remedies for cough, cold, strengthening bones...... but the fat content is high..... so who have high cholesterol level should avoid this.

Lamb Leg Soup

This is going to participate in " EFM -Mutton Series " event hosted by Srilekha of " Me and My kitchen ".

Ingredients
  • Smoked Lamb Legs - 2
  • Dry Red Chilly - 2
  • Garlic - 2 Cloves
  • Cumin seeds - 1 tsp
  • Pepper powder - 1 tsp ( Add more if u need more spicy)
  • Turmeric powder - 1/2 tsp
  • Curry leaves - few
  • Salt to taste
Method
  • Grind cumin, garlic, pepper powder, curry leaves and dry red chilly and keep aside. You can use this soup powder for any type of soups.
  • To make stock from the lamb leg first break the lamb legs.
  • In the pressure cooker, place the lamb legs and add turmeric powder and salt to it. Add six cups of water and pressure cook for 10 to 15 whistles. You will get 2 cups of stock. Leave overnight in the pressure cooker.
  • Next day morning take the stock and place in a sauce pan.
  • Next add the soup powder/ground spices to it. When the soup starts to boil and keep the stove in simmer for 5 Min's.
  • Finally add coriander leaves to it and transfer to a soup bowl and serve hot.
Serves : 2 persons

22 comments :

Priya Suresh said...

I do something similar to this soup...Urs looks fantastic, spicy and delicious...

Shama Nagarajan said...

wow..spicy soup..my favourite

Sum Raj said...

i dont eat lamb phir bhi ur soup looks soo tempting...nice click

Faiza Ali said...

WOW !! yummy and spicy soup....yummmm yuummm...Though I never eat lamb leg curry...this is a must try... love your photography.

Unknown said...

Looks spicy,lamb soup with idly is my fav!

Vrinda said...

Soup looks so rich and yumm..nice dark color,very heart healthy soup...

Sushma Mallya said...

Nice soup,very flavourful...

Gita Jaishankar said...

I too love this soup Valar...I love to have this idlis and dosais also...nice presentation dear :)

Ramya Vijaykumar said...

Comforting and soothing a perfect soup for all times!!!

Namitha said...

Nutritious soup..Usually we make this soup with some ayurvedic spices soon after delivery, as a medicine :-)But of course this one without the medicines is super delicious..thanks !

Unknown said...

Omg what a pic. valar hummm my hubbys fav. soup looks great..

Dori said...

The lovely taste of lamb is unmatchable! Soup looks divine!

Urmi said...

Lamb leg soup is something new to me. Looks yummy and tempting. Thanks for this lovely recipe.

Perspectivemedley said...

wow.. nice presentation!! I would like to share an award with you:).. please accept it from my blog:)

Padhu Sankar said...

I am a vegetarian but I enjoyed the photos. Lovely

FoodLovers said...

nice soup

Anonymous said...

Lovely Soup and nice pix.

Preety said...

perfect entry for the event

Mythreyi Dilip said...

Not tasted this before. Ur excellent picture makes drool and wanna make this spicy delicacy very soon.

Mythreyi Dilip said...

Not tasted this before. Ur excellent picture makes drool and wanna make this spicy delicacy very soon.

Anonymous said...

Nice pic. Thanks for the recipe. Btw at what stage we have to add the garlic pods? You have not mentioned that in the steps provided.

Sameera said...

Wow very delicious recipe. I bought lamb bones from https://fipola.in/lamb-goat. Because lamb bones gives special taste to our soup. I prepared the soup with your recipe. It tastes yummy. Keep posting more recipes.