Whenever i think of soup in non vegetarian category, my choice is aatukkaal soup - a spicy soup of leg of lamb. During my school and college days whenever we suffer from cold my mom prepare this for me and my brother and compulsorily we have to drink it. My mom starts preparation of this soup before night. Before she goes to bed she pressure cook the bones and leave it overnight. Next day morning after our breakfast we have to drink this. This is the most common natural remedies for cold symptoms. My mom learnt this recipe from her mother and i learnt from my mom. This is very tasty and this is a natural remedies for cough, cold, strengthening bones...... but the fat content is high..... so who have high cholesterol level should avoid this.
This is going to participate in " EFM -Mutton Series " event hosted by Srilekha of " Me and My kitchen ".
- Smoked Lamb Legs - 2
- Dry Red Chilly - 2
- Garlic - 2 Cloves
- Cumin seeds - 1 tsp
- Pepper powder - 1 tsp ( Add more if u need more spicy)
- Turmeric powder - 1/2 tsp
- Curry leaves - few
- Salt to taste
- Grind cumin, garlic, pepper powder, curry leaves and dry red chilly and keep aside. You can use this soup powder for any type of soups.
- To make stock from the lamb leg first break the lamb legs.
- In the pressure cooker, place the lamb legs and add turmeric powder and salt to it. Add six cups of water and pressure cook for 10 to 15 whistles. You will get 2 cups of stock. Leave overnight in the pressure cooker.
- Next day morning take the stock and place in a sauce pan.
- Next add the soup powder/ground spices to it. When the soup starts to boil and keep the stove in simmer for 5 Min's.
- Finally add coriander leaves to it and transfer to a soup bowl and serve hot.
Serves : 2 persons